Mold can not only cause damage to your home but also to your health. According to Green Home Solutions, toxic mold exposure in the home can lead to health problems like “bleeding, internal organ damage, mental impairment, cancer, and even death.” Mold is a serious concern, and not something you want to mess around with! Here are a few signs that there may be Mold in your home.
The appearance of Mold. The most obvious way to know there’s Mold in your home is, of course, to see it. It can be black, green, yellow, gray, brown, or white. It can appear slimy, fuzzy, granular, or even leathery. Often, it’s found in areas where moisture occurs, such as in a basement, bathroom, or kitchen, but it can occur anywhere, despite being unwelcome everywhere.map
Water Damaged Areas
Odor. Not all types of Mold have a smell, but the majority do. It tends to have a strong musty or earthy smell that doesn’t go away easily. Follow your nose to what seems to be the main source of the smell. Even if you don’t see a visible sign of Mold, it could be coming from behind or within the walls, or underneath the carpet.
Water Damaged Areas. If your home recently flooded due to heavy rain or a major pipe burst, or if you notice water stains and damage where there wasn’t any before, or if your roof is leaking or there’s been long-standing water, your home may be at risk for mold growth. It’s also important to take note of any areas on the outside of your home that may appear wet (for example, after a heavy rain or tropical storm) and don’t seem to dry up. This might be an indicator of water pockets that can be a major source of Mold if not taken care of quickly.